Close

    • More 2019 mid-engine C8 Corvette spy photos - Possibly dual clutch only

      These are the most revealing pictures yet of the upcoming mid-engine Corvette. That is not saying much though as GM is doing a very good job keeping the design covered. Even the test drivers scrambled to cover the car as they noticed they were being photographed.


      The last time we saw it was when the C8 was doing some winter testing with a C7 ZR1. These photos show off a bit more of the shape but what the actual end design will be is anyone's guess.

      The rumor floating around is that the car will be dual clutch only. If paired with the rumored DOHC naturally aspirated V8 GM is said to be developing this car will offer a very unique driving experience in the modern automotive performance market.
















      This article was originally published in forum thread: More 2019 mid-engine C8 Corvette spy photos - Possibly dual clutch only started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 15 Comments
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        All of the other cars offer DOHC DCT combo. Unique would be carrying over the OHV manual choice.

        This car will be expensive and with Chevy name it will not have much of a success. Should've been Cadillac to add some prestige.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        All of the other cars offer DOHC DCT combo. Unique would be carrying over the OHV manual choice.

        This car will be expensive and with Chevy name it will not have much of a success. Should've been Cadillac to add some prestige.
        Name a naturally aspirated dual clutch mid-engine V8...
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Name a naturally aspirated dual clutch mid-engine V8...
        Exactly. It will be the only one on the market.

        Also if it is a good car, then it is a good car. Badges are for badgewhores.
      1. CookieCrisp's Avatar
        CookieCrisp -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Name a naturally aspirated dual clutch mid-engine V8...
        Ferrari 458
        Porsche 918
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
        Ferrari 458
        Porsche 918
        Neither are on the market any longer and the 918 will take a couple million dollars to get and the 458 will not offer this level of performance for the money.

        In essence, this would be the new 458 and that is why it is special and why it offers something nobody else does. Present tense Click here to enlarge
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Anyone have any ideas on pricing?

        The way I see it, GM hasn't really redesigned the frame of the vette since the C4...of course its improved overtime, but the overall frame layout design hasn't changed much for a long time.

        So i assume that GM will raise the price if only to offset the investment made in R&D and Operations to produce the brand new mid-engine frame redesign investment

        Roughly speaking, if the existing base corvette is about $60K and the Z06 is $80K...

        Then if the base mid-engine corvette is say $70-80K, could we see a mid-engine Z06 variant for over $100K?
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Badges are for badgewhores.
        Is it badgewhoring if one prefers the European styling of the R8, 911, Cayman GT4, over the mid engine corvette?

        although having said that....damn its pretty...

        Attachment 54769
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        Then if the base mid-engine corvette is say $70-80K, could we see a mid-engine Z06 variant for over $100K?
        I think we're looking at an easy $120k+ car here.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think we're looking at an easy $120k+ car here.
        Really? I highly doubt Corvette will jump in price that much. I think just under $80k or just under $90k max.

        Only way they could charge a premium like that, if they also continue an inexpensive front engine platform as well. Basically spinoff Corvette as a separate brand, with multiple sports cars. Have the Stingray and Zora.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Really? I highly doubt Corvette will jump in price that much. I think just under $80k or just under $90k max.
        Maybe the starting price but the Z06 is really over $100k with the goodies.

        This won't be that cheap. I'm sticking by $120k+.
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        There are some credible rumors that this will be the Cadillac (maybe bring back the XLR name). Cadillac has had a mid engine concept car and has been really wanting a proper halo car for a while.
        Also Johan de Nysschen has a history with bringing mid engine halo cars to market like he did with the R8 when he was in charge of Audi.
        Cadillac just joined back in Prototype racing with the DPi-V.R (maybe this car will be called the DP-V or something?) which is similar to what Nysschen did with Audi before the R8 launch.

        Anyway, I think Vette purists would $#@! a brick if they increased the cost so much in one generation and changed from the historic front mid engine rwd car. GM needs to keep the vette a high volume car so it doesn't make sense to switch the whole brand over to mid engine up market.
        Maybe they will call it the Zora and keep it a Chevy but there were some leaks from someone that worked in one of the cadillac plants who said they heard some production line "upgrades" were scheduled kind of suspiciously and other hints that they were going to build some secret new car.

        Its all speculation but it does seem like now at least there will be SOME sort of mid engine car coming out.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
        There are some credible rumors that this will be the Cadillac (maybe bring back the XLR name). Cadillac has had a mid engine concept car and has been really wanting a proper halo car for a while.
        Also Johan de Nysschen has a history with bringing mid engine halo cars to market like he did with the R8 when he was in charge of Audi.
        Cadillac just joined back in Prototype racing with the DPi-V.R (maybe this car will be called the DP-V or something?) which is similar to what Nysschen did with Audi before the R8 launch.

        Anyway, I think Vette purists would $#@! a brick if they increased the cost so much in one generation and changed from the historic front mid engine rwd car. GM needs to keep the vette a high volume car so it doesn't make sense to switch the whole brand over to mid engine up market.
        Maybe they will call it the Zora and keep it a Chevy but there were some leaks from someone that worked in one of the cadillac plants who said they heard some production line "upgrades" were scheduled kind of suspiciously and other hints that they were going to build some secret new car.

        Its all speculation but it does seem like now at least there will be SOME sort of mid engine car coming out.
        This car will be raced, but in GTLM. It will be a Corvette raced under the Corvette Racing banner.

        Sorry the people spreading those rumors have no idea what they are talking about. The Corvette Racing team has way too much heritage to be ended, just to badge this car a Cadillac. It honestly makes zero sense if you know how much the team means to GM.

        The DPi-V.R is a spec car built by Dallara, with some Cadillac crap tacked on the outside and ECR built NA V8 shoved in it. It really has no bearing on GTLM and where this mid engine car will compete.

        Cadillac brand is already represented in IMSA (P) w/ DPi-V.R and Pirelli World Challenge (GT) w/ the GT3 spec ATS-V.R. Do people really think they are going to add a third Cadillac team in GTLM and end the only Corvette Racing team that has the longest racing heritage of any GM road racing program? Not happening.
      1. CobraMarty's Avatar
        CobraMarty -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        although having said that....damn its pretty...

        Attachment 54769
        I love this look.

        I've played with photoshop and basically leave the C8 lower half and just move the cabin forward. Still very 'Corvette'.
        Nothing wrong with a 'Cadillac version' with a very angled/chiseled body lines of 'Cadillac'. Basically a Cadillac body kit/styling.

        For me, I will wait for the end of the model run of the C8 Mid and buy that last year before the C9 comes out maybe 6-7 years from now. All the bugs will be worked out, upgrades will be standard, improvements added and usually model end discounts. Maybe even 'hybrid' with front electric motor. That's how I bought my '04 convert for $15k off.
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        This car will be raced, but in GTLM. It will be a Corvette raced under the Corvette Racing banner.

        Sorry the people spreading those rumors have no idea what they are talking about. The Corvette Racing team has way too much heritage to be ended, just to badge this car a Cadillac. It honestly makes zero sense if you know how much the team means to GM.

        The DPi-V.R is a spec car built by Dallara, with some Cadillac crap tacked on the outside and ECR built NA V8 shoved in it. It really has no bearing on GTLM and where this mid engine car will compete.

        Cadillac brand is already represented in IMSA (P) w/ DPi-V.R and Pirelli World Challenge (GT) w/ the GT3 spec ATS-V.R. Do people really think they are going to add a third Cadillac team in GTLM and end the only Corvette Racing team that has the longest racing heritage of any GM road racing program? Not happening.
        You make good points. I wouldn't rule out a Cadillac version though (Like the XLR-V was supercharged Northstar DOHC corvette which was an overpriced POS lol)
        Also if it is a mid engined Corvette do you think they would really make the entry level vette mid engined too? I feel like it would make more sense to separate it into two tiers like the Zora and stingray or whatever.

        Either way it is cool. There have literally been these rumors forever so its nice that its finally true.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
        Anyway, I think Vette purists would $#@! a brick if they increased the cost so much in one generation and changed from the historic front mid engine rwd car. GM needs to keep the vette a high volume car so it doesn't
        They could do a Caddy and a Vette.

        I think the C7 is still making plenty of money so no reason it can't still be the purist's choice.